News for John Uustal
A company that manufacturers a popular brand of pressure cooker has agreed to pay $26 million to a young girl who suffered horrific injuries after the device's lid blew open.
Lifetime Brands, manufacturers of the Vasconia pressure cooker, settled the action taken in a Florida court on behalf of five-year-old Samantha Gonzalez, who suffered severe burns over most of her body, and later required amputation of her leg and fingers on both hands.
A Broward County Circuit Court approved...
Nov 24, 2018 - Medium
When we buy a product at a store, we assume it has been tested to be safe for consumers. When Caridad Fernandez Reinaldo bought her pressure cooker, she saw in it the promise of lovingly prepared family meals, precious moments spent in the hearth, with the people she most cherished.
Little did she know that the Lifetime Brands pressure cooker was going to become the weapon that almost destroyed her beloved granddaughter Samantha’s life.
First and second degree burns are...
Fort Lauderdale lawyers John Uustal, Michael Hersh and Catherine Darlson of Kelley/Uustal argued that a defect caused a pressure cooker made by Lifetime Brands Inc. to explode, leaving 3-year-old Samantha Gonzalez with devastating burns.
John Uustal, Michael Hersh and Catherine Darlson of Kelley/Uustal in Fort Lauderdale worked out a $27 million settlement with international kitchenware distributor Lifetime Brands Inc. over a faulty pressure cooker that exploded and injured 3-year-old Samantha Gonzalez in Broward.
Gonzalez’s grandmother, Caridad Fernandez Reinaldo, was bathing her in the kitchen sink on Sept. 14, 2015, while chicken soup simmered on a nearby stove top, inside a Vasconia 8-quart pressure cooker....
Nov 20, 2018 - Law360
The law firm representing a girl injured by an exploding pressure cooker on Tuesday said that it had reached a $26 million settlement with Lifetime Brands to end claims in Florida state court that the company hid a faulty lock that caused the girl’s burns and multiple amputations.
John Uustal of Kelley/Uustal PLC told Law360 that Samantha Gonzalez, now 5 years old, had been badly burned three years before by the contents of a Vasconia brand eight-quart pressure cooker that had a...
Judge Brett Kavanaugh’s U.S. Supreme Court nomination represents a danger far greater than ideological differences. It could permanently tilt the balance of power in favor of this country’s most powerful “people” – corporations.
And it’s not pretty when corporations’ strength is unchecked in the courts.
The clearest example dates back to the 1980s when Bayer Corp. and other companies learned they were selling blood-based medicines...
A Florida trial attorney recently filed a consumer class action lawsuit against McDonald’s claiming that the burger giant was charging consumers the same amount for a quarter pounder as it charges for a quarter pounder with cheese.
To John Uustal, a fellow Florida trial lawyer, the case sounded like a frivolous lawsuit – the kind that corporate lobbyists use to mock and undermine the civil justice system.
Uustal took to his blog last month and offered a $100,000 reward...
A Florida attorney is offering a $100,000 reward to anyone who can confirm his suspicion that a lawsuit against fast food giant McDonalds over cheese on its burgers is frivolous.
The federal lawsuit, filed in the Southern District of Florida, accuses the company, and its franchisees, of over charging for its quarter pounders served without cheese.
And one of the attorneys, who filed on behalf of two south Florida residents, claimed the overcharging may have impacted approximately 25...
‘Frivolous Lawsuit Conspiracy’ Whistleblowers Wanted, Potential $100,000 Reward
Florida-based attorney John Uustal just announced he is offering up to $100,000 to the first person who comes forward with proof of “a secret conspiracy to create frivolous lawsuits.”
Uustal is a trial lawyer and author, famous for holding massive corporations responsible for their misconduct. The list of corporate titans he has successfully brought to justice includes the likes of Philip Morris, Toyota, and General Motors.
To Cheese or Not to Cheese
May 18, 2018 - Autocar
Walking up to your car, getting in and pushing a button instead of turning a key makes you feel like you’ve really made it, right, but there’s a problem.
A recent report by the New York Times has found more than two dozen people in the US have died from carbon monoxide poisoning after forgetting to turn off their engines, thanks to keyless systems. In total, 28 people died from the issue while 45 others suffered injuries from carbon monoxide exposure.
While it’s easy...
They died from carbon monoxide after leaving engines on
May 14, 2018 - Newser
"After 75 years of driving, my father thought that when he took the key with him when he left the car, the car would be off," says Doug Schaub. His father, Fred, was among at least 28 people identified by the New York Times as having died from carbon monoxide poisoning after accidentally leaving their keyless-ignition car running in a garage. More than 40 others have been injured, some with brain damage so severe that they struggle to perform everyday tasks. The problem, industry experts say,...
Printed from https://www.johnuustal.com/news/