News for John Uustal
They died from carbon monoxide after leaving engines on
May 14, 2018 - Newser
"After 75 years of driving, my father thought that when he took the key with him when he left the car, the car would be off," says Doug Schaub. His father, Fred, was among at least 28 people identified by the New York Times as having died from carbon monoxide poisoning after accidentally leaving their keyless-ignition car running in a garage. More than 40 others have been injured, some with brain damage so severe that they struggle to perform everyday tasks. The problem, industry experts say,...
Weaned from using a key, drivers have left cars running in garages, spewing exhaust into homes. Despite years of deaths, regulatory action has lagged.
Without having to turn and remove a key to shut off the motor, drivers can be lulled into mistakenly thinking that the car has stopped running.
It seems like a common convenience in a digital age: a car that can be powered on and off with the push of a button, rather than the mechanical turning of a key. But it is a convenience that can have a deadly effect.
On a summer morning last year, Fred Schaub drove his Toyota RAV4 into the garage attached to his Florida home and went into...
If tightening support cables caused Florida International University’s signature new pedestrian bridge to collapse, as Sen. Marco Rubio has suggested in a tweet, the rubble spread across the Tamiami Trail could contain obvious clues, bridge experts say.
Adjusting tension cables, which ran like tendons through the 950-ton concrete span and the struts that connected a concrete canopy on the bridge to the walkway, can be a delicate operation. Over-tightening the cables, which are used...
Austin, Texas, police pull 37 SUVs from fleet
Jul 14, 2017 - CNN
Some police say their Ford Motor SUV police cars are leaking exhaust fumes into their vehicles, causing officers to suffer from carbon monoxide poisoning.
Federal safety officials are looking into the allegations surrounding the Ford Police Interceptor, a version of the Ford Explorer modified for police use. They have yet to open a formal investigation.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has already investigated more than 150 complaints from Ford Explorer owners...
The booming e-cig market has been largely unregulated
As the e-cigarette market grew in popularity, so did calls for oversight and regulation following reports from across the country of e-cigs exploding or catching fire.
From January 2015 to January 2016, scientists from the FDA's Center for Tobacco Products have identified 66 reports of e-cigs overheating, catching fire or exploding.
Dr. Carl Schulman of the University of Miami/Jackson Memorial Burn Center said those numbers are probably only scratching the surface of what has become...
Carbon monoxide poisoning survivor says incidents could have been prevented
Federal regulators are considering safety changes to a popular car feature that has proven deadly in several Florida cases.
Keyless ignition vehicles are increasingly popular and don't require a key to turn off the engine. Critics say drivers often forget to push a button to turn off the vehicle, leading carbon monoxide to flood into the home and kill those inside without warning.
"For many, many years people take their key, they go into their house and they know their car is off,"...
“These things are deadly,” Evan Spahlinger told INSIDE EDITION. “I thought I was gonna die.”
The 21-year-old, from Naples, Florida, turned to e-cigarettes last year to help him quit smoking. But one day in October, he was struggling to power up the device when it suddenly exploded.
“It went like a pipe bomb,” he said. “My skin was charred. Eyebrows burned off. Eyelashes burned off.”
His sister Eva dialed...
In the weeks preceding his death, Janos Victor Lutz — "John," as his friends knew him — told VA doctors he was slightly depressed over a breakup with a girlfriend, his ailing service dog and his lack of focus after serving in the Marine Corps.
The Iraq and Afghanistan veteran told his psychiatrist and a therapist at the Broward County (Fla.) VA Outpatient Clinic that he had been suicidal a few weeks prior and had asked his mother to secure his guns and dole out his...
The family of a decorated marine is saying Veterans Affairs (VA) doctors gave him powerful drugs that he used to take his own life.
Twenty-four year old Marine Lance corporal Johnny Lutz first served in Iraq and then the front lines of Afghanistan.
“Johnny was the life of the party,” said his mother Janine Lutz.
But war changed him. He committed suicide shortly after returning from serving.
“For six months every minute you think you are gonna die...
Angela Knutson is suing Ford after discovering that their 2013 Explorer was leaking unsafe levels of carbon monoxide into the cabin. The couple is attempting to force the manufacturer to issue a recall on all 2011-2013 Ford Explorers.
Knutson's husband, a firefighter with the Sheriff's Office, measured the level of carbon monoxide in the passenger area after a 30 minute drive. The levels registered at 132 parts per million, far above the 100 parts per million considered to be hazardous to...
Printed from https://www.johnuustal.com/news/